Monday, June 15, 2009

Shredded Chicken and Butter Chicken: Together, at last!

I've been passing this recipe around for a while now. I think it's time to put it in writing. Butter chicken (Murgh makhani) is delicious Indian food and quite popular amongst western/British populations. Its origin (according to the ever-useful wiki page on butter chicken) lies in the Punjab region of India and is reputed to have been made by one of the kitchen staff at a restaurant called Moti Mahal.
Recipes vary greatly and I definitely can't claim the one I use as AUTHENTIC, but it sure is tasty. If your food isn't satisfying, why eat it?

So, after a lot of poking about I settled on this recipe for the meal. I'll embed it here for convenience!

Chicken: How To Make Butter Chicken

I tend to cut large chunks of onion. I like the rustic look and the texture it provides.

Instead of using the cut up chicken, I use shredded! Here's how I do it:
*as a note you can do this with any large chunk of chicken/turkey. Thighs and breasts are best!*

SHREDDED CHICKEN
Take your chicken pieces and place them in a pot with a lid. Barely cover the meat with water. I sprinkle a little salt and pepper. This is to your taste!
Bring the water to a boil. Cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to a low simmer. Leave it alone for a good 15-20 minutes.
Remove it from the heat and shred it on a plate or a cutting board with two forks.
In the case of the butter chicken, add it when the recipe calls for you to place the meat in the sauce at the end.

The shredded chicken will stretch the recipe a bit further than the small chunks of chicken.

Other uses for shredded poultry: chili, tacos, salads, burritos, samosa filling, spring roll filling

I serve butter chicken with rice, naan and sometimes some salad for greenery!
I hope this comes in handy!

1 Comments:

Andrea said...

Hooray!! I will have to try this very very soon!! Thanks Dez <3