Monday, August 31, 2009

Pretty Straightforward Slapdash Tasty Chili

I did promise a chili recipe a few entries ago.  I got around to it today on the heels of my husband feeling ill and whining a bit.
I told him I'd go to the store and get things for dinner and a few items he requested to help him feel better.

It's a simple recipe.  It's cheap (I think I spent about $8 on supplies and that was mostly the ground beef).  It's easy.  It's tasty.  What more could a person want?
Oh, it's healthy too!

This recipe was taken from http://www.cookingnook.com/chili-recipe.html and augmented slightly to suit my tastes.

Chili


Basic Ingredients:

1 lb of ground beef
1 small onion
2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 28 fl oz. can of Kidney beans
1 28 fl oz. can of tomatoes
1-2 tablespoons of chili powder (I used a good 1/4 cup worth. I like chili powder!)

salt and pepper to taste

Optional Ingredients:
chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (I used two of the peppers, see below for more instruction)
1 green bell pepper, chopped
cayenne pepper
bay leaf (it's an aromatic!)
a small can of corn
1 tablespoon of worchestershire sauce
substitute black beans or pinto for the red kidney beans

How to:

Sauté the onions in a little bit of oil or spoonfuls of water/beef stock.  Add garlic and the ground beef and make sure to break it up as you cook it.  Brown the beef.
Add in your chopped green pepper (if any), your tomatoes (I used diced!), and your beans.  If you're planning to toss in any other optional ingredients, now is the time.
Add chili powder and your worchestershire sauce.
Stir, cover and simmer on a low heat for at least 30 minutes or until the green pepper is cooked through.
Mostly, the time spent simmering is to blend the flavours together.
Special note on the adobo and chipotles!  I used only TWO of the peppers to rein in the heat level of this chili.  I also used about two tablespoons of the adobo sauce.

Serve and enjoy!
This should feed 2-3 pigs comfortably and 4-5 regular servings with mebbe some bread and stuff on the side.

*As a small aside, I really did feel a little dirty taking pictures of my chili.  Listen to that shutter click and the the camera whirr...

1 Comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome! Well done

Elgar